Monday, August 11, 2008

Our Thoughts On Couples Who Have Coupled Too Soon

As couples grow closer to each other emotionally and spiritually, the natural response is to move closer to each other physically. God intends this area of our lives to be enjoyed to the fullest, but within the context of marriage.
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Hebrews 13:4 (NIV)

It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit. 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8 (NIV)
From the world's viewpoint, maintaining sexual purity before marriage seems like a cruel and unusual punishment. Many people consider it strange if a couple does not sleep together before they are married. "After all," they say, "shouldn't they find otu whether or not they are sexually compatible?"

We live in a promiscuous age in which people promote safe, protected sex yet ignore the terrible damage that sex outside of God's provision of marriage does to the human heart. An entire generation is marrying and re-marrying with deep wounds and scars caused by its past choices.

The consequences of premarital sex include:
  • Lack of fulfillment
  • Inability to respond physically in marriage
  • Financial loss
  • Loss of spiritual interest
  • Loss of communication
  • Distrust/Dishonesty
  • Lack of respect for one another
  • Lack of sympathy
  • Rejection by one another
  • Conflict with one another
  • Blame
  • Guilt
Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call ont eh Lord out of a pure heart. II Timothy 2:22 (NIV)

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. I John 1:9 (NIV)
Here is where you will find a warfare prayer. Praying this powerful prayer will break the stronghold of premarital sex. This prayer can be used to take back the ground given to sin, no matter how long ago it took place.
Heavenly Father,

I come before you with a desire to make sure that old things are set right and to drive away the influence that was assigned to me by my enemy Satan after my sin. My desire is to confess my sin and fully repent before you, and to reset the devil in the authority of Jesus Christ in order to take back the ground I gave in my wrongdoing. Father, I come before you in the name above all names, Jesus Christ. Lord, I confess the sin of premarital sexual encounter(s). I am foolish, prideful, lustful and wrong. It was evil in your sight. I am sorry, I am repentant, and like David I ask that you create a new heart in me.

Thank you for the privilege of confession and thank you for the gift of forgiveness. Thank you for choosing to remember my sin no more. I also want to come against the enemies of Christ that were assigned to harass me because of the ground I gave to the devil through sexual sin. I reclaim the ground that ground in the power of Jesus Christ and I come against the bitterne
ss that could result in my marriage. Satan, I know what you are about and I resist in the power of the resurrected Lord. I have authority in the blood of Christ. To those who were a part of the foothold, BE GONE. That ground is no more.

Thank you Lord for allowing me to be more than conquerors. And, thank you for this victory.

In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments: